With the limitless daily demands of life in the 21st century, finding a few quiet moments with your spouse can become increasingly difficult. Even all of the time-saving gadgets we have invented to increase our productivity and free time, seem to push us in the opposite direction. We seem to be spending more and more time with everyone and everything else on earth besides our spouses. Let’s look at the 5 biggest time-sucks.
1. Electronic gadgets. Blackberries, iPhones, mp3 players, Play-Stations, personal video players and plasma television. You get the idea. Texting, gaming, watching tv and constantly looking at email are devouring our quality time, and our quality of life.
2. Your job. Do you take more phone calls each day from your boss than from your spouse? I’m reminded of The Devil Wears Prada, and the idea that your major life relationship is with the person who calls you the most each day.
3. Household upkeep. Dishes, laundry, mowing the lawn, caulking the tub and wading through a cluttered garage. None of these things are fun and most eat up at least one day of our highly precious weekend.
4. The internet. Social network addictions, watching YouTube, downloading files for the items listed in #1, and online gaming. I might say the internet is the biggest time-suck of all (except for time spent reading this blog of course).
5. Worrying. The economy, health care, the scratch on the new car, upcoming holiday stress, and swine flu. Worrying takes up large parts of each day and can affect our overall health and wellbeing in a negative way.
So turn off your iPhone and computer, set reasonable boundaries with your boss, hire a personal or household assistant, and realize that while you can do your best to plan things, you can’t stop life and change from happening. Remember what you loved to do together before electronic gadgets, work, and home repairs took over your life.
Do you have excellent, awesome, and useful ideas for freeing up time? Let us know in the comments.